Air Europa Blog

The AirEuropa Blog

20 June 2018

Everything You Need to Know When Travelling with a Baby

carritos de bebé, cochecitos bebé, viajar con bebés en avión, documentación bebé

Travelling with a young baby can seem a daunting task so we have compiled a list of frequently asked questions in order to help you plan ahead and enjoy a stress-free journey. Keep on reading to find out everything you need to know when flying with your little one.



Can I take my baby’s pushchair on board Air Europa flights? 

One of the most frequently asked questions when travelling with infants is regarding our policy on taking buggy equipment: you can either check the buggy in with your luggage or use it right up to the aircraft steps. If you opt for the latter, our ground staff will transport it in the hold, and after landing, the pushchair will be available at the aircraft steps.

We carry your pushchair free of charge, regardless of your baggage allowance: this service comes at no extra cost even if you opt for our Lite Fares (which include hand luggage only).

Charles de Gaulle (Paris), Orly (Paris) and Fiumicino (Rome) Airports are the only locations where taking the pushchair up to the aircraft steps is not allowed. If you are travelling to any of these cities, you will be required to check your buggy in before passing the security check.


What is my baggage allowance if I am flying with a baby? 

Infants (from 0 to 2 years) are entitled to 1 piece of up to 10 kg of hand luggage. The maximum combined linear measurement (L+W+H) of the carry-on bag is 45 inches (115 cm). You can also bring one of the following items:

  •  Folding pushchair
  •  Carrying basket
  •  Child seat – for children aged 6 months to 3 years

As for checked luggage, 1 piece of up to 10 kg is allowed, provided that the adult fare includes checked luggage. The maximum combined linear measurement (L+W+H) of the checked bag is 62.2 inches (158 cm).  And If you need to take more items, you can book extra luggage.


Can I take baby food on board?

You may carry enough baby milk or baby food for your journey in your hand luggage but you must pack the rest in your checked-in baggage. You will need to declare it to security staff and present it for inspection, with your baby present.


How many infants are permitted to travel per adult?

Each adult may be accompanied by at most two infants aged 0-2.  If there is only one adult with two infants the following will apply:

  • One of the children will travel in the same seat as the adult, using a special seat belt provided by the Air Europa crew.
  • The other one will travel in a child seat, next to the adult. In this case, the same fare will apply as for children aged between 2 and 11.


What happens if an infant reaches the age of 2 years during the journey?

Infants turning 2 years old during the journey will be considered as children for administrative purposes. This means that they will have to pay the applicable child fare for that flight.


Can I request a cot or bassinette? 

Bassinettes can be requested on long-haul flights. These are subject to availability and we recommend booking this service in advance as the number of cots available is limited.

You can contact our customer service by phone or via our Facebook or Twitter pages in order to check availability on board our Airbus 330 and Boeing 787 Dreamliner.


What are the travel documents required in order to travel with infants?


 Domestic flights (within Spain)

  • Passengers under 14 are not usually required to bring their ID Cards (DNI in Spain). The birth certificate or “libro de familia” in Spain, however, can be requested, and infants will be under the responsibility of the person travelling with them. If the resident discount is applicable, you must also bring a certificate of residence, stating the date of birth.

Flights within the European Union and/or Schengen Area

  • Under 18’s flying with their parents or legal guardians: ID Card or valid Passport
  • Under 18’s flying with someone other than their parents or legal guardians: ID card or valid passport. If travelling with an ID card, parental authorisation will be required. This document can be obtained at any police station or civil guard post. When travelling with a passport, no authorisation will be required.

Flights to third countries (outside the European Union or Schengen Area) 

  • Valid passport 


Should you have any other queries, please drop us a comment below!

También disponible en / Also available in: Español (Spanish)